dksbakes forefront recipe

dksbakes forefront

Minneapolis, United States

Age

2Years
Color

Country of origin United States

Taste
& Flavour

Asia
Australia
Antarctica
Africa
Europe
North America
South America

Sourdough
in the world

  • 1406 sourdoughs
  • 82 countries
  • 1187 cities

Mixture

50%
50%
Liquid Flour Other
dksbakes forefront

Since 2016

Characteristics

It's me 100%...predictable.

Taste & flavour

Recipe

Starting ingredients

  • 100g Filtered water
  • 50g Forefront hard red spring wheat
  • 50g Unbleached white bread flour

Feeding ingredients

1
Day one (The Beginning) In a small jar combine the following ingredients using your fingers or spoon until the flour is thoroughly hydrated. The mixture will be a thick, sticky paste. Cover and let stand on your kitchen counter 2-3 days allowing it to become bubbly and puffy.
2
Day Three (Training the starter) Discard 80% of your mixture, and add 2 Tb. of the flour blend to the remaining 20% of the mixture and enough water to hydrate the flour to have the same pasty consistency you started with on day one. Allow the starter to rest 10-12 hours. After several days of repeating this refreshment step every 12 hours, the starter will rise and fall predictably.
3
Day Ten (The mature starter) The night before baking discard all but One Tb. of the mature starter. Using your fingers or a spoon, combine 200 g of warm water and 200 g of your flour blend (100 g Forefront HRS, 100 g Unbleached Bread Flour) to the starter. Allow this Leaven mixture to rest at room temperature for 10-12 hours. It will have a nice bloomed appearance, ready for your final dough.
4
Refrigeration; This starter can be refrigerated to avoid refreshments every 12 hours. It is recommended to refresh the starter once at room temperature once each week using Step One of the feeding stage. It is recommended to refresh three times prior to using the starter to make your Leaven to ensure strength in your Leaven before mixing your final dough.

Working method

1
100g Filtered water
2
Forefront; A Hard Red Spring Wheat Flour with above average protein, grown and milled in the US Upper Midwest. I use "Forefront Bread Flour" milled by Baker's Field Flour and Bread, in Minneapolis, which has only been available to me for the past year.
50g Forefront hard red spring wheat
3
I use King Arthur Flour's "Unbleached Bread Flour"
50g Unbleached white bread flour

Preserve your sourdough for the future

Create your own